Saturday, July 4, 2015

Spiny young friend

For more than a month, I've seen a young Texas spiny lizard (Sceloporus olivaceus) hanging out in a live oak that we can see from our dining room window. Sometimes we can spot it while we're eating a meal at our table.

Finally, yesterday evening I got a photo of it! I ran outside after we'd seen it while eating supper. At first, I thought the lizard had already run up the tree and I'd missed my chance. But then I looked again. It was still there so I got a couple of shots. See how well this species blends into tree bark?

1 comment:

TexasDeb said...

We've seen a lot more spiny lizards this year than ever before. I'm not sure if that reflects a larger population, or if it is because we've worked to put in more native plants and have more wildlife overall. Either way I love these little skitterers. Great shot!

Post a Comment