Friday, March 13, 2015

Look closely...

Yes, look closely at this unusual rock that I found while on assignment in Mason County earlier this week. Do you see it? I did. So I went back into the house and fetched my jeweler's loupe so I could get a closer look...

It's the egg sac of a spider. This morning, when I looked at it with my loupe, I was surprised to find a tiny spider curled up in a crack of the rock just below it. I'd missed her with my naked eye! This afternoon, I took a break from my desk and went outside with my camera, planning to photograph both the spider and the sac. But, alas, my little spider friend was gone. So you'll just have to take my word that she was there. I have no idea if she was the one who laid the eggs. After I was done shooting, I turned the rock so the egg sac won't broil in the sunshine. Good luck, spider kiddos!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are universes inside of universes out there. Thanks for sharing this one!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Yes, you're right! That's a great way to phrase what I was trying to convey. Thanks!

Debra said...

Nice! You have a great eye. Don't you just love seeing the little spider clouds when they emerge?

Post a Comment