Monday, March 23, 2015

Fragrant gaillardia?

Photo taken Sept. 1, 2014
Last spring, I planted some seeds in little newspaper pots that I'd made. Two pots produced a large leaf. Later in the spring, I put them in the ground. One died. The other kept going. And going. But I couldn't figure out what it was! Fast forward many months, and I was thumbing through Ricky Linex's wonderful Range Plants of North Central Texas. BINGO–there was my mystery plant on page 24! From what I can tell, my beauty is a Gaillardia suavis. But if you look at images of the species at Wildflower.org, my gaillardia doesn't look like most of theirs. I'll know for sure after it blooms. Which looks to be soon. Stay tuned!

This week (above and below)


1 comment:

TexasDeb said...

It is reassuring to read that somebody with such a wonderfully trained eye for identifying natives also has to wait to declare certainty under some conditions. I have a couple of beds where I threw out seed somewhat carelessly, thinking nothing was germinating. Patience is not my strength, obviously. Now seeing tens of dozens of seedlings without a clue as to what they are. Every time I pass I think "I've got a lot of SOMEthing here - hope it is what I wanted!'.

Post a Comment