Monday, July 7, 2014

My found treasure

Ratany (Krameria lanceolata)

Well, at least I felt like I found a treasure. As we were coming down Cross Mountain yesterday in Fredericksburg, I looked down at the gate and spotted a familiar but new-to-me native: ratany! In Marshall Enquist's Wildflowers of the Texas Hill Country, this species is featured on page 79. "The family Krameriacea contains only a single genus, Krameria, with 15 to 25 species in North and South America," he states. "Texas has 4 of these species, only one of which grows in our area." THIS ONE!

I knew what it was because of Enquist's book! Anyway, I felt like one of those birders who get excited when they see a rare bird or a species they need for their life list. I can relate!



2 comments:

TexasDeb said...

Great eye you have - that is a lovely but teeny tiny bloom. And you were able to correctly identify it which makes that not one but two successes!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Yes, you're right!! :-)

Post a Comment